Wednesday 4 March 2009

MADLIB RULES OVER BRISTOL


" I'll tell you who else is really bad: DJ Spooky. He is so full of shit. I saw DJ Spooky at the Knitting Factory, and I tried to buy a beer to throw at him. You have someone like Madlib who is a fucking genius — a genius! [He's] a real true artist in what he does, when he takes American TV soundtracks and turns them into hip-hop. Then Spooky turns up and plays a couple shit European drum 'n' bass records. [...] The new album is less hip-hop if you listen to modern hip-hop, but Third is purely influenced by old hip-hop and metal drone group Sunn O))). For me, it's Public Enemy, Marley Marl, EPMD, Flying Lotus and Madlib. That is pure mad music, out-of-tuneness and noise. But people are worried about making money. I'm not; I just want to make a decent album that is heavy. [...] The distorted drum fills are me trying to be Madlib. "

O Geoff Barrow των Portishead αποθεώνει την νέα σκηνή του L.A.  (σε περσινή συνέντευξη στο διαδυκτιακό περιοδικό REMIX, το οποίο παρεπιπτόντως αναλύει την τεχνική διάσταση των σύγχρονων  παραγωγών (πέρα από την καλλιτεχνική), τις μεθόδους και τα όργανα που χρησιμοποιύνται, σ' ένα υπέροχο αρχείο διαφωτιστικών συνεντεύξεων).

No comments:

Post a Comment